What Our Real Blogs Can't Know

A place where nobody knows your name (insert Cheers joke here). A place to write what we can't write on our (real) blogs.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Blocked and Abandoned

As of last night, I have blocked my mother's e-mail address. Maybe now she'll get the hint that I was not kidding when I asked her to stop forwarding me lame e-mails.

"But, but.... the Dole salads in a bag! You won't know they've been recalled!"

"But, but... your migraine may have been a warning that a stroke is impending! How will you be aware without my helpful forward?!"

What. Ever.

Meanwhile, not only haven't I called my father in over a week because I don't want to deal with my mother possibly answering the phone when I call, but I talked with my brother, and he's not calling either.

Why? It's REALLY depressing to talk to our dad these days.

"Not much is new here. It's raining a lot. Mommy broke the toilet. AGAIN. My severance ran out this week; now unemployment will kick in."

How fucking obnoxious are we!? Our dad got laid off and has nothing to do but look for a job and try not to let his head explode from being around our mother 24/7, and his kids aren't calling because they find his situation depressing?

I get it. My brother and I are over-embracing this California thing of "doing what's good for YOURSELF" these days. But how do we balance that with not being total assholes to our parents?

1 Comments:

  • At 7/02/2006 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    can you e-mail your dad? send him cards in the mail? i understand not wanting to call home, and it also makes sense that you wouldn't want to stop talking with your dad just because you're not talking with your mom right now.

    it'll take a lot of work, but you WILL find a way to be kind to both your parents and yourself. this doesn't mean your parents will necessarily get what they want from you, or you from them (that'll probably never happen), but i know you can find a way to feel like a decent human being towards everyone involved.

    in the meantime, you could start by not calling yourself "bitch" and "asshole" when it comes to dealing with your parents. just an idea.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home