What Our Real Blogs Can't Know

A place where nobody knows your name (insert Cheers joke here). A place to write what we can't write on our (real) blogs.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Almost One Year

At the end of August, I will have been working here for a full year. On September 19th, I will have been an employee of this firm for a year (I temped for a few weeks before they hired me).

This is a big deal because I tend to get fired from jobs before one year has passed. It's also a big deal that I have friends because, well... I never did before.

Yesterday my brother and I were talking and he mentioned the fact that my whole life is coming together finally right when my family life has fallen apart. I haven't seen my brother in five months, and haven't talked to my parents in about a month. My dad and I will e-mail back and forth, but I haven't spoken to my mother at all since some time in June. My brother and I tried to find a connection to these two things above, but couldn't. Guess you can't have everything.

2 Comments:

  • At 7/30/2006 8:58 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    One year? Already? Time passes so quickly.

    I have a theory. I think the connection is that you've made major changes in how you live your life and how you deal with the rest of the world. Families get used to a particular balance, with each family member falling into a defined role. When one person steps outside of her role, it upsets the equilibrium.
    You've done a lot of growing recently. You moved to a new city and discovered an entire community of friends who adore you. You found a job that suits you better than others you've had. You questioned your role in your family and refused to play the part everyone expected you to play. It's no surprise your parents and brother feel shaken and upset. But they'll come around eventually.

    In the meantime, your task is to keep exploring, keep questioning, and keep living this life you've created for yourself.

     
  • At 7/31/2006 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yup! i agree with stephanie. the more your life becomes your own (rather than your mom's), the more you'll enjoy it - but the tougher your relationship with your mom might be, at least for a while.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home