What Our Real Blogs Can't Know

A place where nobody knows your name (insert Cheers joke here). A place to write what we can't write on our (real) blogs.

Monday, December 25, 2006

Green Light

Yes, my brother co-signed for me. Yes, the new apartment people extended my deadline and held the apartment while I waited for my brother to finish flying across the country.

I got the apartment. Please come visit me in February, and please bring your dogs when you do.

While I was in Florida last week, my father said he wanted the three of us (him, my mom, me) to sit down and talk about how the co-signing request went down.

Apparently my mother feels insulted that I never actually ASKED her to co-sign. Here's the thing though: I didn't ask her because as I wrapped up telling her all about the apartment, ending with "So I have until tomorrow at noon to either produce a roommate or have someone to co-sign," she responded by saying, "Oh well. I'm sure you'll find another apartment." I saw that as a CLEAR sign to NOT ask her. So I didn't. She claims to have been hurt and insulted that I didn't actually ask.

THEN, when I was telling my dad all about it and she overheard him talking to me and walked by and said "No," my mother claims that she didn't know what my father was talking about, and only thought he was agreeing to do something involving a lot of money without talking to her first.

THENNNNNNN, she claimed that she wanted to help by agreeing to co-sign, but felt she couldn't because I had told her to be "less mother, more friend" and she didn't believe a friend would ever offer to co-sign. So I told her that two friends actually had made that exact offer.

My father and I went round and round with her, trying to get her to commit to one stance and stick with it, to no avail. I say, if you see somebody has a problem and you want to help, you offer the help. There's no rule that says you have to wait to be asked for said help. No rule that says only people with certain relationships to you can offer certain types of help.

Poor dad. He apparently had this happen to him back in the olden days - he was dirt poor after having just gotten out of the Army, went to his parents to ask for a loan, and they refused. He told me he was VERY upset that his child came to him for money help and his wife put him in a position where he was forced to say no.

So that's what happened. Meanwhile, yesterday, on Christmas Eve Day, while I was in a parking lot in Florida, my cell phone rang. It was the dude from the new leasing office, apologizing for bothering me, but calling to say someone asked if anyone was looking for a roommate and he thought of me. I wrote down the chick's e-mail address and even though he said she's "well into her 40's" I will e-mail her today. People in their 40's can be okay, right? Right?

Yeah, I'll put an ad up on a few sites just in case.

4 Comments:

  • At 12/27/2006 8:01 AM, Blogger M.Amanda said…

    More mind games, will she ever stop? Glad it worked out for you anyway.

    My boyfriend's grandparents are quite comfortable and are always saying how they want their kids and grandkids to feel free to come to them when they need financial help. And they have bailed out a couple of them.

    Well...his sister's car died and she found a vehicle she could afford. The only problem was that due to following her mother's insane advice, her credit was in the crapper. She needed a co-signer for the loan even though she'd almost recovered financially and gotten into some good money habits for the last two years. She went to her grandparents to co-sign (not for money - she's never asked them for money), and they said no.

    Sweets did it for her with no regrets at all, but mentioning it to him makes him pissed at his grandparents all over again, especially since this loan is a major step to rebuilding her credit so that she can finally be totally independent and she was very hurt that they let her down. Actions speak louder than words.

    Hmmm, late 40s might mean mature, responsible, secure. You might find that she appreciates a clean apartment, understands the importance of paying the rent on time, and has a steady job. You might also find that it's like living with a Grandma. Eeek, grandmas at work AND home...

     
  • At 12/28/2006 12:08 AM, Blogger the Drunken Housewife said…

    I am in my forties.

    Incidentally my mother twice refused to help me out with money (when I was 20 and 21 ... although the things she has done for my sister would boggle the mind. She told me once that if I knew how much money she'd given my sister over the years, I'd lose my mind.

     
  • At 12/28/2006 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My thinking is that even if you had worked through the tango of sematics (she didn't ask me to co-sign, I'm not going to offer because I'm not supposed to...) and she HAD co-signed for you, you would have a price to pay with that favor. DH has often wondered aloud if we should ask my mom to pay for private school for the kids and that's just somewhere I don't want to go. Those strings attached.

    Glad it worked out with your brother and here's hoping you find a cool roommate. Welcome home!

    --a 'wine-loving' person you know who needs to post anonymously for this one--

     
  • At 12/28/2006 3:52 PM, Blogger Plain(s)feminist said…

    Ah, more passive-aggressiveness. Having just got home from my own mother's house, that seems very familiar. It's interesting that she gave you all the signs of a big "NO" but is now hurt because you didn't ask. Seems convenient - now you have to deal with her feelings instead of her having to deal with treating you poorly.

    Good that dad and brother know the score.

    And "well into her forties" doesn't mean anything on the face of it. Age is just a number. She could be 48 and horribly immature or 23 and wonderfully mature. Meet her and ask lots of questions about neatness, LOL!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home