What Our Real Blogs Can't Know

A place where nobody knows your name (insert Cheers joke here). A place to write what we can't write on our (real) blogs.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Parental Leftovers

On Saturday, apropos of nothing, my friend's three-year-old (who met my parents last Monday) said to me, "I like your daddy but I don't like your mommy." "Why don't you like my mommy?" After some thinking, in what sounded to me like a very small voice, "Because she didn't like me." How much of a bitch do you have to be to not just FAKE it with a fucking three year old?! It's really not that hard! My mother should be ashamed of herself.

My brother had a frustrating and exhausting time with them. They probably had a much more pleasant time with him than they did with me. He took them to Morton's Steakhouse, Gladstone's in Malibu and to a Laker's game. I took them to therapy. It's no wonder he's the favorite.

He made our parents hotel arrangements, and got them a place right on the ocean. Since my brother had to work Thursday and Friday, my parents had two whole days to explore. They were given lots of suggestions and ideas, none of which they took. That's right, they stayed in their hotel room the ENTIRE time. Without even asking, I can tell you that my mother spent all her time sleeping, in the bathroom, and watching tv (but mostly sleeping). My father spent all his time reading and watching tv. Oh, and waiting around for my mother. They didn't even venture out of the hotel for their meals. My brother was disappointed in them. You can clearly see where my lack of adventure comes from.

On Sunday, my parents called me from LAX before boarding their plane to wish me a happy birthday. I was trying to get things done before meeting someone and didn't really have the twenty minutes I took to sit on my bed and talk with my dad. So when he said my mother wanted to talk to me I was not pleased. After two or three minutes I told her I had to go - I was getting completely off my schedule. Then I remembered her whole "It might kill me if you hang up" thing from therapy, and was instantly re-enraged by it. She said goodbye pretty quickly, and after I hung up I said to noone "Good. I hope you fucking DIE now." Yeah, I guess I'm a little angry. Got an e-mail from my dad this morning and he didn't mention anything about my mother being dead, so I'm guessing she's not.

I'm so glad their visit is over with. I don't know if I want there to be another one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home