What Our Real Blogs Can't Know

A place where nobody knows your name (insert Cheers joke here). A place to write what we can't write on our (real) blogs.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Kit! I Need Ya, Buddy!

Tonight I went to the therapist I saw back in February. We had a very interesting discussion. Yes, both my parents agreed to go to therapy. In the background, my brother has been encouraging them to do this. And by them, I mostly mean my mother.

I wanted to meet with her once before she met my parents, so she could help me prioritize the issues I want to discuss with them. She said something that made me pause. That made me come home and call my brother. That's making me blog in the hopes of getting your opinion. You are all Kit.

First the therapist and I talked about what issues I want to raise with my father. She asked how I think he'll react. Worst case scenario is he says he didn't come across the country on his vacation only to hear how awful he is and he walks out. But I'm about 85% sure that if I chose my words carefully, that won't happen.

Then we were talking about my mom. I explained how my mother has this selective memory. How despite my brother and I remembering being spanked, she claims she never spanked us. That's one of MANY lies. I explained how my brother's been prepping my mother for this visit, telling her she needs to be open to listening to how I feel, and not defensive.

The therapist looked me straight in the eye and asked, "What's the point? Why bother?" I asked if she was sure she was a real therapist. What kind of real therapist doesn't advocate talking things out? She said though, that it doesn't sound like my mother is open to hearing me. That she won't change.

We went back and forth on this. A few times. I was really struggling with the idea of not trying to fix things with my mother at all. I'm seeing the therapist again Monday night. I'm supposed to think about it. Here are my thoughts:

1. I am someone who solves problems. That's what I do. I'm good at it. I don't walk away from problems. I try 400 different ways of solving them.

2. This is my MOTHER. The only mother I have. I have no close grandmas, no mother in law, no other mother figures except for my mother.

3. She didn't give up on me when I was fucked up as a child. She may not have made the right decisions about taking care of me, but she was trying. Don't I owe her the same courtesy? Doesn't she deserve the same courtesy? Shouldn't I try?

4. I don't want to hurt my mother's feelings. I just want to protect mine. I think my mother would be VERY hurt if I told her "In thinking about it, I realized you'll probably never change and I didn't want to bother with the therapy after all."

5. I think it'll put my dad in a very awkward position to have a relationship with me, if I'm avoiding my mom. That's his wife, who he lives with.

When the therapist asked what I was thinking, I told her I thought I needed to talk to my brother about it. My brother laughed when I told him tonight. He sees her point. Ultimately he said we're not the kind of family where we walk away from each other. While he agrees our mom probably won't change for the long term, he thinks I should still try. Or, have her sit in the room while I tell the therapist what exactly it is about my mom that I have problems with, and then ask her for coping strategies.

He pointed out that if the therapist thinks it won't work, then she may not be very helpful. If the direction I decide to go in is to try therapy with my mother, then I should ask the therapist if she's with me or not, because if she's not, I need to find someone else.

I think that's the direction I'm leaning in. When things get difficult with people, I don't just write them off - I dig in and try harder. Am I banging my head against the wall by trying harder? Am I setting myself up to be very hurt?

What do you think?

11 Comments:

  • At 9/29/2006 7:55 AM, Blogger anne said…

    It sounds to me like you're being very careful about the whole thing and very wise. You know you have to be gentle around everyone's feelings, but you know that this is all stuff that really needs to come out.

    It doesn't sound like the therapist won't be any help, but that she really wants you to put more thought into it, which you have!

    My opinion from thousands of miles away is that you are doing the right thing and you are doing it well.

    Good luck and many hugs! :)

     
  • At 9/29/2006 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can see the therapist's point, to a certain extent. If your mom is completely closed minded and will immediately become defensive, then trying to get her to acknowledge that she spanked you if she does not believe that she did may be a pointless exercise. On the other hand, did the therapist have a better solution? Maybe what the therapist was saying is that instead of confronting her with the past and trying to get her to admit things, maybe you should just focus on dealing with the present and future. I dunno how you would do that though. If the therapist can't give you a good reason why you shouldn't confront your mother and an alternative way of approaching the therapy session, then you might want to find another therapist for this.

    Good luck!!

     
  • At 9/29/2006 4:53 PM, Blogger Plain(s)feminist said…

    It sounds to me like your therapist is focusing on the individual in treatment - you - and on helping you cope or change. I think if you and your mom were going into therapy together, your therapist would have a different response.

    However, I agree with your brother that it's worth trying. You can't know what the outcome will be.

    If you're thinking that this one appointment will have a great impact on your ways of dealing with each other, then I would gently suggest that you might want to lower your expectations. However, if you're thinking that this appointment is a way for your parents to *hear* you, then it's really a starting point for a longer process (which may or may not involve therapy for them).

    And from the things you've written, I think it would be beneficial for all of you for your parents to hear you.

    Ultimately - and I think this is your therapist's point - we need to just deal with our parents as they are. That doesn't mean accepting it so much as it means getting to a point where it doesn't affect us or at least where it doesn't control us.

    I'm not sure I'm there yet.

     
  • At 9/29/2006 4:59 PM, Blogger Plain(s)feminist said…

    Just read over what I'd written and it sounds not quite right. I wanted to add that, from what you've posted, I don't know what else you could do other than bring in a trained and neutral third party. It's what I would do (have done, in fact). Your mom may not be open to hearing you right now - but your dad might. And that will make a difference. Maybe she'll hear you later, through your dad.

    FWIW, my relationships with my parents didn't change immediately, but *I* gained a lot of insight into the relationships. I did end up focusing on me and not them, but it was important for me to have the sessions with them. (I don't remember if I posted this before, but I started therapy specifically to figure out better ways to deal with my parents.)

     
  • At 9/30/2006 8:20 PM, Blogger the Drunken Housewife said…

    The therapist has a very good point: we can't change other people, we can only change ourselves. HOWEVER, having said that, there could still be some value in having a neutral referee in the room while you try to set some parameters for the relationship.

    I hesitate to say this, because I know many people will find it weird, but being married to someone with selective memory, I find it advantageous to put stuff in writing. If you manage to hash anything valuable in therapy, I suggest you write it down ASAP and show it to your parents to see if they agree that it is accurate.

     
  • At 10/02/2006 9:19 AM, Blogger M.Amanda said…

    I admire that you're not just giving up. I'm not proud of it, but that's probably what I'd do. I loathe confrontation.

    If this is about getting your mother to change, you should be prepared for it not to work. Not saying that it won't, but in my experience, those who get defensive and stop listening already know their faults and are not concerned with changing. Maybe that's what the therapist is thinking in concentrating on you.

    That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't bring it up, especially if it'll make you feel better. Sneak in their part in talking about you, like it's totally not about them. Defensive people only stop listening when they suspect they will hear something unflattering about themselves. Flatter them, make them part of the solution and not the problem, and they are less likely to resist.

    Whether this spurs her to at least attempt to change some of her hurtful behavior or not, figuring out a better way to deal with them is a good idea. I also agree that getting them to hear you is just the first step. You might make progress, but one session won't solve all the problems.

    Good luck.

     
  • At 10/02/2006 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The therapist may be right that your mother won't actually listen to you, or (especially) hear you. And she probably won't change. BUT, it will almost definitely make you feel better to air your grievances.

    I still don't think that you were as "fucked up a kid" as you think you were and both of your parents treated you like ass. They should know that.

     
  • At 10/02/2006 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh. and I think lfm up there has a very good point. I think you should deal with your present issues (although clearly they are rooted in the past).

     
  • At 10/03/2006 3:49 PM, Blogger Unemployed Nurse Jack said…

    Some things I've heard echoed by my instructor and some theraposts in my Mental Health clinical are "distorted realities" and "our own truths".

    I think you should proceed with the idea that you're searching to clarify your own realities and your own truths. You can't control or change those things in either of your parents.

    Focus on what you need to be 'whole' and ask your parents to respect your wishes to do so. Let them know you're not out to make them feel bad, guilty or inadequate. If they have those feelings, they own those realities or truths. It's up to them what to do with them.

    I'm so proud of you - this is huge.

     
  • At 10/03/2006 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i think that as long as you remember that the possibility of it not working exists, you'll ultimately be ok. i felt exactly the way you describe in #s 1,2,and 5 before my session with my parents. i thought of giving up many times and just couldn't do it. i'm glad i didn't just drop the relationship. it's good that the therapist confronted you with the possibility of your mom not changing, but does that necessarily mean she's not with you? it'll be interesting to hear what she says. i think it might just be a responsible thing to do as a therapist - a blunt way of helping you clarify the reasons for doing this, the possible outcomes, and of the limits of your own power in this situation. OR, she's not a real therapist ;p

     
  • At 10/06/2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    AAAahhhh! This is all very messy, isn't it?

    It's hard to offer an opinion without knowing your parents and having observed your family dynamic. But I'll try.

    I believe you've already answered the question, "Why bother?" I hope this was your therapist's intention when she asked this question: to let you answer it for yourself. If it *wasn't* her intention, she sucks.

    Anyhow, here's what I think: you do this family therapy for YOU. Not because you want your parents to change, because frankly, that ain't gonna happen. Do it so that you can feel like you've made an effort to improve things. Then decide whether you want to take a break from your mother for a while.

    That's the other thing I wanted to tell you: you don't have to cut your mother out of your life. You can take a temporary break from her, and you both may benefit from this. I took a 6-month hiatus from speaking with my mother, and it really improved our relationship. Once I was ready to talk to her again, I had enough distance and inner strength to set necessary boundaries with her.

    As for your father...well, he'll have to make his own decisions. All you can do is explain why you're doing what you're doing and let him figure out how he wants to deal with it. Sure, it's going to be awkward for a while. But once the dust settles and you all figure out how to interact with one another OUTSIDE of your old family roles, it will be better. Or at the very least, you will realize that it's as good as it's going to get, and perhaps then you'll be able to make some peace with that.

    You're awesome for doing this, Zoe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home