What Our Real Blogs Can't Know

A place where nobody knows your name (insert Cheers joke here). A place to write what we can't write on our (real) blogs.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Vacation

Yesterday I went to HR and announced that I'll no longer be taking time off before Thanksgiving. My very nice gay HR guy asked what happened, and I explained that my brother was going to fly me to LA but changed his plans, which subsequently changed mine. HR Guy was very nice about it. I was worried he'd be annoyed, but he wasn't.

He then pointed out that I am only a couple of pay periods away from topping out of vacation hours. We can only accrue 150 hours (that's about four weeks). At that point you simply stop accruing. HR Guy encouraged me to take some vacation, and take it soon.

But I have nowhere to go, noone to go with and noone to go to. I'm not really an adventurous sort of person, and I don't have a passport, nor do I speak or understand any foreign languages. Nor am I comfortable being surrounded by people I don't understand (fellow people watchers will understand).

If I were going on a vacation somewhere, I would like the weather to be fall or springish. I couldn't go to a place that has weird food - I'm the type to skip a meal if someone says, "First try it, then I'll tell you what you're eating." I don't go camping. I like watching the ocean. I get lost easily. Hostels are too .... well, I'm too snobby to be comfortable in them, and yet I'm not comfortable with fancy things like manicures and massages and little men who fetch things and bring them to my room. I could probably spend up to about $5,000.

I'm thinking I'll just cash out two weeks worth of time. Figure it's a good idea to leave some in there what with flu season coming and all. Then I can take that cash and put it towards a future vacation. That I'll probably never take.

I really fucking hate myself.

3 Comments:

  • At 10/12/2006 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how about mendocino? you could watch the ocean, the weather will still be nice, there's a wide range of hotels, and everyone speaks english. go for 3 days and cash out the other 11?

     
  • At 10/13/2006 6:26 AM, Blogger M.Amanda said…

    I almost never go anywhere for my vacations. I have to use up 14 days, almost 3 full weeks before Dec 31 or I lose them. Except for 2 days the week before Thanksgiving when Mom and I are planning a weekend trip, I won't be going any farther than into the city for a day of exploring and people-watching on my own. I sleep in, bum around, whatever I want.

    I don't see anything wrong with that. I do exactly what I want, it's cheap, and I enjoy my own company. You don't need somewhere to go or someone to go with to have a relaxing vacation.

     
  • At 10/15/2006 2:22 PM, Blogger the Drunken Housewife said…

    I have some ideas. First, if you do find a new apt., moving will be more pleasant if you take some vacation days for packing & unpacking. More interestingly, without leaving town, you could look into doing something fun you might never get to do, like taking day tours like a tourist (there's a crime tour, a sixties tour, Chinatown tour, etc..). Would you be at all interested in learning to knit or sew or make jewelry? You could set up something like that to do in town. If you want to be pampered, you could get a day package for the Nob Hill Spa or for the Claremont in Berkeley. Those are magnificent ways to spend a day relaxing without flying anywhere. I would vote for you doing something exciting to give yourself a treat.

    If you want to travel but not by yourself, you might be okay joining a package tour, but then again, that might not be a good fit for you. I don't know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home